The Ahwatukee community is located in south Phoenix. It is bordered on the north by South Mountain Park,
on the south by the Gila River Indian reservation, on the east by Interstate 10 and on the west by state
owned land. Before the 1800s Indians hunted and farmed the land that is now know as Ahwatukee.
At one point, there were 32 gold and silver mines registered in this area.
The first home was built for a wealthy dentist, Dr. Ames in 1921. Later, in 1935, Helen Brinton purchased
the home and named it Ahwatukee (Ah-wa-too-kee), a Crow Indian word that means 'House of Dreams'.
It seems hard to believe that as few as 25 years ago, none of this was here. But in 1971 development companies
bought large tracks of land next to South Mountain for future planned communities. Ahwatukee is now one of the fastest
growing areas in the Valley. Currently the population stands at around 85,000 and could reach
a high of 120,000. Although the area still has the feel of a small town, all the amenities of a
big city are right over the hill.
Great weather, plenty of sunshine, gorgeous landscapes, golf courses, miles of trails and South Mountain Park
(one of the largest city parks in the United States) it's easy to see why the community has grown so quickly.
There is something to do for everyone, year round in Ahwatukee!